Updated every Tuesday for your culinary convenience!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Cowboy Cookies

I think most people have a special place in their heart for their mom's cookies. Dan is an extreme example of this. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that she's not here to make them, but it's also largely because her cookies are just so dang good. Every once in awhile, I get a hankering for MY mom's cookies, and when I express my intention to make them, he is always baffled.

"Why would you make her cookies when Cowboy Cookies are so much better?"

"Um, because I like them, I grew up with them, and I made your mom's cookies the last dozen times."

"Yes, as you should have. Because they're better."

Okay.

So here's what you'll need to recreate these hallowed morsels:

That's 1/2 cup of butter, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, an egg, 1 cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 cup of quick oats, 1 cup of coconut flakes, and 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.

Let me just say that I personally have never cared for coconut, but I still love these cookies and think that the coconut is great in them!

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Start by melting the butter, then cream together the sugar, brown sugar and butter.

If Dan is helping make the cookies, he eats the "dough" at this point (if you can call it dough, which you can't). I think this is deplorable.

Next add the egg and vanilla, mix again, and then add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

I find that these cookies turn out the same whether I use white or whole wheat flour, so I always use whole wheat, to help justify how many of them I will end up eating.

This is a very versatile recipe, so sometimes I like to throw in something healthy. This time, I added some flaxseed meal.

It seemed a little too dry, so I added a few squirts of flaxseed oil.

Next, add 1 cup of quick oats.

Mix, and add a cup of coconut.

Mix again. By now, your arm is probably getting a bit of a workout. Don't worry - we're almost done!

Add 3/4 cup chocolate chips, and mix one more time.

Roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet.

Place them in the oven and bake for about 12 minutes.
Be sure to eat some dough while they're baking. This is VITAL. I'm careful to to it every time. Lord knows what would happen if I didn't...

They're done when the highest little knobs on each cookie are caramel brown. You want these cookies to have some crunch to them.

Let them cool on the sheet for a couple minutes, then move them to wire racks. Or don't. I do when I'm feeling particularly obliging - Dan likes the wire rack step. I like them nice and warm!

Enjoy!


Here's the printable recipe:

Cowboy Cookies

Ingredients:
½ cup butter
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup quick oats
1 cup coconut flakes
¾ cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt the butter and pour it into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar, mixing well. In a small bowl, beat the egg. Add the egg and vanilla to the sugar mixture, mixing again. Next, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix thoroughly. Add the oats, mix, add the coconut, mix, and add the chocolate chips, mixing once more. Roll into balls and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops are a crispy golden brown.

No comments: